Filled with cultural references and a lot of attitude, 60s clothes marked a generation and continue to influence trends.
Image and style consultant Isabela Valentim shares the main elements of the 1960s aesthetic, as well as tips for putting together casual, festive, modern looks and much more. Follow along!
Main characteristics of 60s clothes
The 1960s goes far beyond the polka dot dress. Isabela Valentim, stylist at Retro Belle — a brand specializing in vintage style , talks about the main components of 1960s fashion. Check out tips to use in your daily life:
“The miniskirt was an icon of the 60s, created by designer Mary Quant. The piece caused a great revolution in fashion, as it confronted the moral values of the time.”
If you like a powerful look, bet on “compositions with blazers , creating a set that mixes visual elements of authority and sensuality”.
The clothes of the 60s represented a “revolution in women’s wardrobe”. For example, Le Smoking, “designed by Yves Saint Laurent in 1966, was a feminine set of suit jacket and trousers in straight tailoring. Currently, with women heavily involved in the job market, these pieces have become timeless and essential in the closet.”
“Moving away from the pattern of cinched waists and romantic designs, the trapeze dress appears , with a straight cut, tighter at the shoulder and with an A-line skirt.”
The piece brings an air of “modernity, boldness and attitude” to the looks. It’s a perfect item to use with overlays.
“Prints were another phenomenon of the time.” When it comes to 60s clothes, automatically, “people remember the polka dot print ”.
However, other patterns were successful, such as “stripes, florals and checks, classic and timeless. Psychedelic and geometric prints with vibrant colors also marked the decade, perfect for those who support a more creative style.”
To complete the look, the expert mentions the “pearl necklace”, immortalized by Audrey Hepburn, in the film ‘Breakfast at Tiffany’s’, and retro sunglasses .
“Among the favorites are those with a cat-eye shape, with round lenses and pointy sides. The style of these glasses is casual and brings a bold look to the look.”
Isabela ends by stating that “the fashion of the 60s was a true revolution in the way we see clothes. From her, we brought timeless pieces that have never gone out of production: they cross the ‘time’ factor, regardless of the season, season or emergence of new trends.” Incredible, isn’t it?
30 looks with 60s clothes to make you shine at parties
Invited to a 60s themed party? Calm! In the selection below, you will find characteristic looks for all styles! Check out 60s outfit ideas for parties and add your touch of personality to the composition:
1. For a classic look, choose a flowy dress
2. The polka dot print is a 1960s landmark
3. There is no shortage of options for a subversive style
4. Like this look with high boots
5. You can call your friends to combine a look
6. It’s a complete knockout!
7. If you’re the birthday girl, take advantage of the moment to shine!
8. White boots go well with 60s clothes
9. How about being inspired by 60s Barbie to create your look?
10. There are countless 60s fashion icons to draw inspiration from, like Twiggy
11. The character Holly Golightly, played by Audrey Hepburn
12. Jackie Kennedy for classic fashionistas
13. Or the iconic Sharon Tate
14. The Mondrian dress is a symbol of the 60s
15. You can invest in complete costumes
16. Or improvise with pieces you already have at home
17. Don’t forget accessories, like the hair band
18. Daytime parties require a hair scarf and sunglasses
19. To make it even more sophisticated, include a pearl necklace
20. The cool thing is that 60s clothes cover different styles
21. Since pinups
22. Going through the traditional ones, from the early 60s
23. Even the alternative outfits from the Woodstock festival
24. To update your look, opt for short dresses
25. Sock looks are charming
26. For a classic costume, opt for polka dots and a full skirt
27. Look at the charm of this dress!
28. This look combines modern and classic
29. You can bet on fun earrings
30. Revisit 60s nostalgia
It’s possible to put together a look for a themed party without compromising your style! Polka dot dresses are perfect for romantic and delicate women. High boots and psychedelic prints are an option to take your costume out of the ordinary. Complement with lots of accessories.
Many current fashion icons date back to the 60s, a decade marked by cultural transformations and greater freedom for women’s wardrobes. Make your look even more complete with 60s makeup . It’s easy to do!
Did you like this amazing tip? If so, share it with your friends and on your social networks. Leave your comment below and your suggestions and tips. Receive daily here on our Portal Free Tips and Home Recipes and follow us on Google News as well. Thanks!