With the basic techniques – and a little creativity – you can make beautiful pieces!
Crafts are a great hobby. In addition to being able to manifest your imagination, you exercise your skills and, in addition, you can increase your income. Among the countless crafts that exist, patchwork is one of the most popular techniques.
Patchwork literally means “work with retail”. The idea is precisely this: to gather different pieces of fabric and create something new, beautiful and unique. From placemats to quilts, passing through bags and accessories, there are countless possibilities using this technique.
Whether you’re an apprentice or a veteran in the art of patchwork, check out the tips we’ve prepared below. The list of inspirations is unmissable!
Learn to patchwork
Patchwork pieces usually have three layers: the lining, padding, and top. The top is the most visible part, the “upper” part. The lining and stuffing are the finishes, which give volume and finalize the pieces. Learn more tips in the tutorials we’ve selected!
Patchwork for beginners, by Claudia Viana
The first step to start in the art of patchwork is to make your first seams. If you’ve never even picked up a machine, don’t worry.
The video above teaches you how to make the most basic stitches, which are very important for most jobs.
Patchwork pad, by Fê Atelier
The materials needed to make your magic block are: two fabrics in contrasting colors, patchwork ruler, cutting board, finishing scissors, pins, circular cutter, ironing board and iron. See the video for a step-by-step explanation.
Seamless patchwork by Nina Braz
To make a beautiful placemat you don’t need any skill with needles. Cut 20 pieces of fabric and glue them together using cloth glue.
The tip is to first form strips with the fabrics, then unite them all. It’s a charm!
Wallet in five minutes, by Casa de Pano Ateliê
Want to use your time to learn something new and fun? Check out the step by step of this portfolio! It is simple to make and can be sold for up to R$20.
It is possible to download the part template , which greatly facilitates the work.
On Youtube you can find a lot of cool stuff, with well explained tutorials. Search for “Patchwork step by step” to see videos that teach you how to make bags, fabric baskets and even bathroom games!
6 patchwork products to buy online
If you love the look of patchwork, but aren’t into the craft crowd, there are tons of options to buy online. See some suggestions:
Where to buy
- Patchwork bag , at Mercado Livre
- Eames chair with patchwork, at Lucy Home
- I rest patchwork cups , at Elo7
- Patchwork mini skirt, by Dafiti
- Patchwork shoulder bag, at Dafiti
- Patchwork stool, at Americanas
Did you just see how much beautiful things? The hard part now is deciding!
31 patchwork photos to inspire you
Using the hashtag #patchwork you can find many beautiful creations on Instagram. Check out this selection with just a small part of them!
1. Images that convey peace: well-organized materials
2. The desire to buy more fabrics only increases
3. The good thing is that patchwork allows for many creations
4. Like this beautiful pillow
5. These sleep masks
6. Or even this very cheerful bedding set
7. Seriously, look how cute this notebook is!
8. You can customize the objects of the little ones
9. Make your room more colorful
10. Or the hottest dog
11. The combination of white, black and pink is beautiful
12. This cupcake bag is passionate
13. What about this pencil holder? Beautiful and practical!
14. Love in the form of a coaster
15. How about mixing several scraps and creating a unique piece?
16. If you are a beginner, you can start with simpler projects
17. And then increase the difficulty level
18. After a while you will be able to make whole trousseaus
19. Will start customizing all your stuff
20. And in the blink of an eye you’ll see patchwork all over the house
21. Still not inspired enough? Then see this bag
22. And all the delicacy of this comic
23. How to describe the beauty of this color palette?
24. We fell in love with this mixture of greens and black
25. Beautiful works like this make us sigh
26. Here we see a dog that also approves of patchwork
27. Felines are not left out either
28. Did someone say rainbow?
29. Just contemplating yet another beautiful handcrafted piece
30. Is your hand already itching to start work?
31. So now it’s up to you! Needle in hand and a lot of creativity in the head!
If you want to venture into this world of crafts, there are many cool techniques to learn. How about giving amigurumis or crochet a chance ? Put your favorite crafts in the comments!
Did you like this amazing tip? If yes, share it with your friends and on your social networks. Leave your comment below and your suggestions.